2017 AIA Contract Documents
Every 10 years, the core set of AIA Contract Documents are reviewed and updated based on industry trends and important court decisions. The April release includes 11 revised AIA forms and contracts. An additional 18 forms and agreements were released in the fall of 2017. Once the 2017 documents are released, the 2007 editions of the documents can continue to be used for up to 18 months. Note – because some current agreements refer to A201-2007 and A201-2007 SP, we will continue to publish these documents until May 31, 2021.
Major changes to the Owner/Architect agreements are:
- Single Sustainable Exhibit that can be used with any project and added to any AIA document to address the risks and responsibilities associated with sustainable services.
- New agreements contain a fill point to prompt the parties to discuss and insert an appropriate “Termination Fee” for terminations for convenience.
- The Architect is no longer required to re-design for no additional compensation if he or she could not have reasonably anticipated the market conditions caused the bids or proposals to exceed the owner’s budget.
- Additional Services identified at the time of agreement are now categorized as Supplemental Services to avoid confusing them with Additional Services that arise during the course of the project.
- The new agreements clarify how the Architect’s progress payments will be calculated if compensation is on a percentage basis.
Major changes to the Owner/Contractor agreements are:
- New exhibit with comprehensive insurance and bonds provisions that can be attached to many of the AIA owner/contractor agreements.
- Expanded ability for the owner and contractor to directly communicate about the project while maintaining the architect’s ability to remain informed about communications that affect its services.
- Clarified provisions that require the owner to provide proof that it has made financial arrangements to pay for the project.
- Simplified provisions for the contractor to apply for, and receive, payments.
List of 2017 Documents
- A101™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor where the basis of payment is a Stipulated Sum
- A102™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor where the basis of payment is the Cost of the Work Plus a Fee with a Guaranteed Maximum Price
- A103™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor where the basis of payment is the Cost of the Work Plus a Fee without a Guaranteed Maximum Price
- A104™-2017 (formerly A107-2007), Standard Abbreviated Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor
- A105™–2017, Standard Short Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor
- A201™–2017, General Conditions of the Contract for Construction
- A401™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Contractor and Subcontractor
- B101™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect
- B102™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect without a Predefined Scope of Architect’s Services
- B103™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect for a Complex Project
- B104™–2017, Standard Abbreviated Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect
- B105™–2017, Standard Short Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect
- C401™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Architect and Consultant
- E204™–2017, Sustainable Projects Exhibit
- C203-2017, Standard Form of Consultant’s Services: Commissioning
- B201-2017, Standard Form of Architect’s Services: Design and Construction Contract Administration
- B203-2017, Standard Form of Architect’s Services: Site Evaluation and Project Feasibility
- B205-2017, Standard Form of Architect’s Services: Historic Preservation
- B207-2017, Standard Form of Architect’s Services: On-Site Project Representation
- B210-2017, Standard Form of Architect’s Services: Facility Support
- G612-2017, Owner’s Instructions to the Architect Part A
- G612-2017, Owner’s Instructions to the Architect Part B
- G701-2017, Change Order
- G701S-2017, Change Order (Subcontractor Variation)
- G702S–2017, Application and Certificate for Payment, Contractor-Subcontractor Version
- G703S–2017, Continuation Sheet, Contractor-Subcontractor Version
- G704-2017, Certificate of Substantial Completion
- G710-2017, Architect’s Supplemental Instructions
- G714-2017, Construction Change Directive
- G715-2017, Supplemental Attachment for ACORD Certificate of Insurance 25
- G801-2017, Notice of Additional Services
- G802-2017, Amendment to the Professional Services Agreement
- G803-2017, Amendment to the Consultant Services Agreement
- G808-2017, Project Directory and Design Data Summary
2017 Document Comparisons:
Compare the new 2017 versions of the documents with the previous 2007 editions.
- A101-2017 Compared to A101-2007
- A102-2017 Compared to A102-2007
- A103-2017 Compared to A103-2007
- A104-2017 Compared to A107-2007
- A105-2017 Compared to A105-2007
- A201-2017 Compared to A201-2007
- A401-2017 Compared to A401-2007
- B101-2017 Compared to B101-2007
- B102-2017 Compared to B102-2007
- B103-2017 Compared to B103-2007
- B104-2017 Compared to B104-2007
- B105-2017 Compared to B105-2007
- C401-2017 Compared to C401-2007